Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Feminine Mistake

I finished reading this book by Leslie Bennetts last week. This book has I know been highly controversial. I though it was extremely well written and touched on a very uncomfortable truth. This truth of course is that taking time off from work to care for your children can leave you in a very vulnerable position should the dream you have not work out. She also talked a lot about how difficult it is to get back into the workforce after being away for a while. From my own experience I am definately finding that to be true. Of course it is always difficult to know if the reason you didn't get that job is because another candidate was more qualified or if you didn't get the job because you stepped off your career path to care for children. One criticism I've heard of this book is that it concentrates like so many other books on middle and upper middle class mothers who opt or don't opt out of the workplace. I believe that this is not a fair criticism since in reality you need a relatively high income to make that choice of whether to stay home or not. Poor mothers really have no choices unfortunately, and often are pushed into unfortunate situations to provide for their families, a reality which sadly could make it's very own book.

No comments: