Thursday, September 6, 2007

Virginia Counties Targeting Illegal Immigrants?

I just got my issue of American Libraries and learned that in the wake of Congress' failure to pass a Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act in June, Loudoun and Prince William Counties in Virginia are passing resolutions to limit illegal immigrants' access to public services. I say shame on Loudoun and Prince William County and all the other counties and states who are passing laws and resolutions to limit freedoms to illegal immigrants.

What Americans need to realize is that 1. the system of immigration in this country is broken and 2. someone is benefiting from illegal immigration and contrary to popular belief it is *not* the illegal immigrants. Think about this. There are 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States. Some one must really want illegal immigrants here. Everyone who hires domestic help illegally and pays them under the table benefits, every corporation who "unknowingly" contracts illegal immigrants to work for less than minimum wage benefits. Corporations who can keep wages for all their employees low benefit. Illegal immigrants do not benefit from current immigration law. They end up on a dangerous journey to a country that doesn't want them, to work in a job which puts them in a situation where they are easily exploited.

All immigrants would benefit much more from having an easier legal path to immigration. Employers would have to pay a living wage and benefits, and when the children of illegal immigrants grew up they would not be barred from an education or employment because they too, quite innocently, are also illegal immigrants. I know what the path to immigration is like in the United States because I too am an immigrant. I started the immigration process legally over ten years ago and am not appreciably closer to achieving permanent residency status, never mind having citizenship than I was then . I also know the casual insults that immigrants endure everyday, like having to send my immigration documents to the State Capitol every time I renew my driver license so they make sure that I'm in the country legally, or being tested for Std's just to get my green card, like being an immigrant makes it more likely that I'll engage in risky behavior.

Christians are often admonished to consider, ironically enough, "What Would Jesus Do"? Well, I know what he would not do. He would not throw good people in jail for helping God's people in need, He would not make strangers feel unwelcome in his home and he certainly would not turn people in need away from his door.

No comments: